Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Special Guest-CPT Jeffrey Krohn

It is such an honor for me to post the following words today.

I was introduced to CPT Jeffrey Krohn by his twin brother, Buzz. Buzz and I are volunteers for Operation Welcome Home at BWI (Baltimore Airport).

Here is an excerpt of an e-mail, I received from Buzz: "Captain Jeff Krohn is home safe after being wounded in Iraq. He had surgery in Germany and Walter Reed and now he is back in Virginia recovering well. He was awarded the Bronze Star." I asked Buzz immediately, if Jeff would write a post for my blog. He had Jeff contact me and these are the amazing words I received.

Jeff, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you for your service and sacrifice!



My Story...My Soldiers.

I want the American people to know several things about my 15 months in Iraq. You cannot explain to those who have never served how important my young Soldiers meant to the overall readiness of the Army. They are sons, daughters, husband's, and wives. They are smart and witty with integrity and honor. They do it because of our great nation and our way of life. They are not killers. They are professional's that are highly skilled and trained in the tactics and operations of war. They do not mix their political views with the mission, they follow orders.

I have been blessed as an officer to have these great individuals serve under my leadership. I know their likes and dislikes. I know what motivates them and what doesn't. I know thier families and friends. I know that they love each other and would die for each other if they had too. I know they like to play video games, throw horseshoes, fix computers, and attend college. All of this while fighting in war. I know that they suited up everyday to go out in a hostile environment to help change a nation from terrorism and corruption. They have held babies, talked to local elders, met with powerful sheiks, and trained their Iraqi Police counterparts with precision. They missed birthday's, anniversary's, and holiday's. All of this for their devotion to duty.

I want the American people to know that my Soldiers fought for 455 days with only 18 days of R/R in between. They survived rocket attacks, small arms fire, IEDs, and explosions. All to get up and do it again. They left their comrades to go home on leave but unselfishly thought about them while they were gone and in some ways felt bad that they left them behind to go home. Selfless service describes everyone of my Soldiers. Sometimes it brings me to tears when I think of all the time I have spent with them. I have learned so much about life from them. They have taught me that there is more to life than just war. Friendship and trust makes them who they are. In my eyes they are better than everyone else. They do what is told without question. They cannot challenge the orders given to them. They do not question their leadership. They are held to values that no other is asked to uphold. They serve proudly and deserve the gratitude and respect of an entire nation.

I want everyone to know their names, the Soldiers of 2nd Platoon SAVIORS, 202nd Military Police Company, FOB Warhorse, Iraq;

SFC Cordery, SSG Carder, SSG Paquet, SSG "Moose", SSG Seaman, SSG Kramer, SGT Gabriel, SGT Bellavia, SGT Ellsworth, SGT Musgrove, SGT Provalenko, SGT Boros, SGT Figueroa, SGT Hayes, SGT Ash, SGT Ruiz, SGT Christensen, SGT Willig, SGT Murdock, SGT Thompson, SGT Jensen, SGT Whiteside, SPC Roe, SPC Pinter, SPC Cox, SPC Huff, SPC Marquis, SPC Burgess, SPC Vigilone, SPC Grueter, SPC Foley, SPC Rogers, SPC Geurin, SPC Smeltzer, SPC Cook, SPC Piontek, SPC Wilson, SPC Citurllo, SPC Coleman, SPC Gordier.

Think of these WARRIOR's and thank them. They are my hero's, my Soldier's and my friends.

CPT Jeffrey Krohn

30 comments:

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Oh my gosh, that was so beautifully written! What a great honor to have on your blog. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Unknown said...

sue...I agree, it is beautifully written and a huge honor to be able to have the words from such a hero posted on my blog!

The Crow said...

Airman Mom:

I joined the Navy in 1969, because of what happened to my brother in VietNam, and served in the Hospital Corps. Twenty years later, my daughter enlisted in the Navy, as well. She served in Norfolk in the records office there.

I am opposed to war, but understand that it sometimes is inevitable. I have never been opposed to, nor disrespectful toward, the men and women who place their lives in danger to serve their country.

This is one of the most moving and heart-stirring posts I've ever read. Thank you for putting this here today.

Martha

Unknown said...

martha...thank you for sharing your thoughts. I also wish to thank your family for its service! Cpt. Krohn did an outstanding job getting his thoughts into words!

lola said...

AM, thank you for having CPT Krohn guest on your blog. I thoroughly enjoyed his words.

Unknown said...

lolaberly...thank you for stoppiing by and reading his words!

Mary Ellen said...

Thank you for your service, Capt. Krohn. Count me as part of a grateful nation.

You're in Portsmouth? Does that happen often? Portsmouth is not that far from me (and Hallie). Sorry about the cold. It must be quite a shock to your system. At least you missed the two feet of snow!

joyce said...

Thank you for his words.

But, heroes plural is with an oes, not an apostrophe. We play too much Scrabble.

heroes, like potatoes have toes--that is how I remember it.

We have a nephew coming back from Iraq in April. He worked as an Army nurse (six foot six nurse!) in Bagdad. And he enjoys using basketball to help morale. I can't wait to hear his stories.

And my spellchecker thingy does not like how I spelled Bagdad. I think there is another H in there somewhere.

Unknown said...

joyce...thanks for stopping by! A special thank you to your nephew. We are a blessed nation!

Unknown said...

ME..thank you for leaving such a kind commment to Cpt. Krohn! This is my second trip to Portsmouth, Ive been to New London (Groton, CT) quite a few times. I finally understnad what you and Hallie have been typing about!!!!!

Unknown said...

P.S. sorry for all the typos in my last comment!

Greg C said...

What a great post. Yesterday I stumbled upon the Budwiswer commercial where the people in the airport stand and applaud when the servicemen and women get off the plane. That always makes me proud. Thank God for men and women who serve our country.

K-Dubyah said...

HOOAH!!

Give him and his brother a hug for me. Heck, all of them if you could. :)

And of course, a Huge THANK YOU!

Mary said...

AM,

Special thanks to both you and Cpt. Krohn for this very powerful and inspiring post. I salute him and the Soldiers of 2nd Platoon SAVIORS, 202nd Military Police Company, FOB Warhorse, Iraq; They are all heroes, each and every one. I thank them for serving their country.

I've added the 2nd Platoon Saviors to my prayer list. God bless them and bring them safely home. I am praying also for Cpt. Krohn's healing.

Blessings,
Mary

Unknown said...

ky...I will make certain to pass along your thanks!

Unknown said...

mary...your prayers will no doubt be deeply appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and reading Cpt. Krohn's words!

Unknown said...

greg...the bud commercial is awesome. On my sidebar, I hope you will check out the video of the Gratitude Campaign! It is so important to say thank you each and every time we meet one of our soldiers!

juliannah said...

Thank you Cpt. Krohn for caring so much about your troops! As a military Mom we depend on you to take care of our babies. It is people like you that make me proud to be an American. God bless you and your soldiers.

Unknown said...

julie...your kind words are always welcomed!

Tami said...

AM,
Thank you so much for this post. It is so good to see Officer's that appreciate and understand the service members that serve with them.
God Bless Cpt. Krohn, Thank you for your service and good luck on your road to recovery.

aam

Unknown said...

aam...thank you for taking the time to read these remarkable words!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome...gave me chills.

Hallie

Unknown said...

hallie...He's amazing, don't you agree!

Call Me Grandma said...

What a wonderful post. My words of thanks will never be enough to express my gratitude.
You are all special Americans...God Bless our troops.

Julie D said...

That is so beautiful....thank you for sharing. And thank Buzz' brother too. :)

Unknown said...

julie...I will pass along your thanks!

Buzz Krohn said...

I am Captain Jeff Krohn's twin brother, Buzz. JJ is my best friend and my hero. What JJ failed to mention, as I expected he would from his commentary, is that in addition to his own responsibilities, he had to keep his soldier's safe and get them home unharmed; and he did just that! JJ also had to leave his newborn son, Jackson, for 15 months along with missing his wife. Incredible! Our Soldiers give at and yet they require so little from us. Whether you are for this war on terror or opposed to it, one thing that should remain consistent is our support of our troops! They are professionals at the highest of levels! I have become a patriot due to my brother's service in the US Army. Organizations such has Operation Welcome Heroes and the USO are a great way to get involved with supporting our troops. And Blogs like this are AWESOME!

CPT Jeffrey Krohn said...

Thank you all for your kind words and comments. I serve to protect the awesome country we live in and the great people like you. You are my heros as well. You have put smiles on my Soldier's faces with you kindness during the holiday's we missed and make us all proud when you thank us for our service.

I will post a photo soon of my guys so you can see their proud faces. Thanks again for being who you all are.

CPT Krohn

Anonymous said...

Thank you AirmanMom!

And thank you Cpt. Krohn for your leadership & your selflessness. And thank you Co.202 for fighting for us here at home.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers always! God Bless*

Unknown said...

love...truly, these words are an honor for me to post! Once again, a warm thank you to Cpt. Krohn!