Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Talking Tuesday


Most of us know that "The Star Spangled Banner" is our national anthem. We've learned that Francis Scott Key wrote the words in 1814, and these lyrics were later set to the tune of an British drinking song. In 1931, President Hoover signed a Congressional Resolution designating it as our National Anthem.

But....did you know that United States Code, 36 U.S.C. § 301, states that during the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" (United States National Anthem) when the flag is displayed, everyone except those in uniform should stand at attention while facing the flag with their right hand over their heart. Those in attendance who are not in uniform should remove any headwear with their right hand and hold it at their left shoulder, with their right hand held over their heart. Individuals in uniform should show the military salute during the first note of the anthem and stay in this position until the last note. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. If the flag is not displayed, people in attendance should face the music and respond as if the flag were present. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention.

So here is our Talking Tuesday topic. Tell me if you place your hand over your heart every time our anthem is played? Gentlemen, do you remove your caps? Why or why not?

11 comments:

Call Me Grandma said...

I always place my hand over my heart, and it always brings tears to my eyes.
I love Ray Charles' rendition of our National Anthem.

Airborne dad said...

Hat off, hand over heart. Although I know see I am eligible to salute. However, I have always felt that I was a veteran by law not be deed.

Donna said...

I always put my right hand over my heart. DH does too and he always makes sure that he removes any hat that he has on. Hmmm, I think our commander-in-chief needs to know these rules and follow them. I remember seeing a picture of him with his hands folded in front during an anthem.

MightyMom said...

PLEASE tell me there are not people who don't know this!!!!

I actually complained to Pops because he had the "Star Spangled Banner" on his blog play list. I told him it was awfully hard to type while standing with my hand over my heart every time his blog came on!! (he removed it...sweet guy that he is)

I have another topic for you. Flag Etiquette Correct uses for flags. Correct heights for flying state vs American flags....
I periodically put that up and there's always a debate with someone who thinks they know a better way!

juliannah said...

Hand over my heart every single time. Even when I hear it on TV I feel as if I should be putting my hand over my heart. I don't but I am always attentive.

Alice said...

I always stand. I always place my hand over my heart. My mama taught me that from a very young age. She made us stand even when it was played on TV. I haven't forgotten that.

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

Airman Mom......I do always, always place my hand over my heart. Prince takes his hat off and we sing. Loudly and badly but we don't care. Prince is from England and he loves America and never fails to tell anyone that.
Nothing makes me madder than to see people not doing the same. I don't mind saying a little word or three to them either. Don't mind for a minute. I feel like my country is being disrespected when EVERYONE around me doesn't standm salute, hand over heart, cap off and sing :)

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Tami said...

AM,
Because I am a Veteran, I tend to salute automatically when I hear the National Anthem.
I have taught my kids to stop what ever they are doing and place their right hand over their heart. Last year during a baseball game that my youngest was playing in, someone accidently hit the button and started the Anthem over again. Devin was already in his catcher stance and waiting for the ball to be pitched. He immediately jumped up and threw his helmet off which resulted in a ball hitting him in the shoulder. After it was over I asked him what he was thinking and he said; all I knew was I was suppose to be standing at attention. LOL
It makes me so mad to hear people talking and see them walking around during the National Anthem.

aam

Mary said...

AM,

I've seen these protocol several times in my life and think it is great.

I stand at attention when any national anthem is played and expect the same when someone hears O' Canada. It is not only protocol, but a sign of respect.

Thanks for sharing. BTW, I love the Star Spangled Banner.

Blessings for a great day,
Mary

Unknown said...

i always put my hand over my heart. my mom taught me to. ;)

kathleen's kit up said...

I always put my hand over my heart, and sing along. My husband is a high school football coach, and I have seen young people just stand chatting as the anthem is played. I feel like shaking them and saying...my son is risking his life for you, stand at attention, NOW!