Thursday, March 25, 2010

National Medal of Honor Day-March 25th


The United States Congress has designated March 25th of each year as NATIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR DAY, a day dedicated to Medal of Honor recipients. (Public Law 101-564) was conceived in the State of Washington. The date was chosen to highlight this special day because it was on March 25, 1863 that the first Medals of Honor were presented...to six members of Andrews' Raiders.

The Medal of Honor is the highest military decoration awarded by the United States Government. It is bestowed on members of the United States armed forces who distinguish themselves "conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States." As the award citation includes the phrase "in the name of Congress", it is sometimes erroneously called the Congressional Medal of Honor, however the official title is the Medal of Honor.

On this day, please display our Flag and thank our men and women in uniform. Join me in prayer of thanks for all who are brave enough to protect our nation.

5 comments:

Mike Golch said...

I honor all these brave men and women that serve our country every day.I did not know that Today National Medal Of Honor day.I do now Thank you.

Coffeypot said...

If you and yours make it into Georgia I'll take you to see both the trains (the General and the Texas) that were involved in the Great Locomotive Chase. Also pictures and a short movie on the event with all the men involved. In most cases the MOH is given for the true reasons of it intent. But I think there are a few that is politically motivated. A high ranking office for example.

Unknown said...

mike...I'm so glad you stopped by today!!!!!

Unknown said...

coffeypot...Hubster and I must come to Georgia one day....Watching your Atlanta Braves play in Atlanta is on our Bucket List. It would be an honor to have you show us around some of the most important sights in your area.

HeartBass said...

I was with a tour group on Capitol Hill on Thursday when we saw a group of men wearing their Medals of Honor getting back on their motorcoach. I was wondering what the special occasion was; now I know! One of the dads in my group went over and talked to them, thanking them for their service and bravery. It was a great moment!