Thursday, January 8, 2009

Helping Hands Thursday


As we all know by the extra luggage on our hips and the pine needles our vacuum cleaners keep sucking up, the holiday season is over! Or is it? Remember how good it felt to choose special gifts for special people?

Our Soldiers are those special people who deserve year-round gifts. I'm not suggesting extravagant items...I'm talking about mouthwash, eye drops,q-tips, toothbrushes, foot powder, chewing gum, playing cards, Pringles, cocoa mix packets, wet wipes, air fresheners, sewing kit, Tabasco sauce, cookies(individual packets), AA batteries, chapstix, phone cards, sunscreen, Vaseline...and so on! These are items we pull from a closet on a daily basis and don't think twice about it. Imagine not having that closet or CVS nearby!

Thanks to Mary my Canadian friend, who introduced me to an organization called AngelsNCamouflage. This sweet lady has an American "Adopted" Soldier, who she sends packages to regularly. Mary hosted a Card Shower and received 30 cards which she forwarded onto to her Soldier!

SoldiersAngelsintroduced me to one of my 'adopted' SoldierSons, David. What a good feeling to know that these men and women protecting our freedoms, will actually smile at MailCall!

And last, but certainly not least....my beloved 'virtual' SoldierSonMudPuppy has requested books. Yep, books. He is an avid reader, who enjoys the classics. He will share the books he receives, so you are not giving to just one soldier...you are making many soldiers happy! Truly, it is the little things which are huge for our members of the Armed Services.

PLEASE feel free to e-mail me, if you have questions.

Your hands ARE helping hands!

May Almighty God Bless each and every Airman, Soldier, Sailor and Marine!

4 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

I am loving having an adopted soldier (May) so much! We just sent out our January package, and I had a blast picking things out. I really appreciate you listing all the great suggestions for things they really want or can use. We're lucky that she has been able to contact us, so we're learning a little bit about her, too.

Unknown said...

ME...I am cerrtain you are quite a blessing to this soldier! Truly, it is the little things which mean the most!

Mary said...

AM,

What a wonderful surprise I found when I came here today. Thank you for recognizing my efforts to support the troops.

I have books already packaged for MudPuppy and will get them off tomorrow. Today I ended up taking care of some business for my neighbor and visiting her at the hospital.

I appreciate all you are doing here and will be sure to post something in the next day or two.

Blessings,
Mary

Unknown said...

mary...I am praying for your neighbor's recovery. MudPuppy will appreciate receiving the books!!!!!