Friday, June 25, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Today is my Dad's birthday.

One of my favorite memories of my Dad is my 18th birthday!
Back in the day, turning 18 was when you could legally drink alcohol. My Dad thought it would be fun to celebrate my 18th birthday in a VFW Hall, with a Polka Band! He wanted to share my first legal beer with me. (yep, there were a couple of illegal Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill nights, perhaps those days will be written of in another post). So back to my most memorable 18th Birthday Extravaganza... Me, my folks, some of their friends, a VFW Hall and a real live Polka Band playing, yep you guessed it...Polka Music. My Dad loved to dance. My Dad never shyed away from a dance floor, even though he was born with two left feet! I kid you not, anyone dancing with my Dad needed to tie up a pair of steel tips, before taking the dance floor! But he loved to dance. In my mind, I can still see him jiggling around...even with the tempo very slow! My mom would ask me to dance with him, to give her toes a chance to recover from the trampling! Truly, these memories of him bring a smile to my heart!

Garth Brooks sings a song titled, The Dance

Looking back on the memory of
The dance we shared beneath the stars above
For a moment all the world was right
How could I have known you'd ever say goodbye
And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance



I'm so grateful for my dances with my Dad. Those moments are forever imprinted on my heart.

Happy Birthday, Dad!

1 comment:

Bag Blog said...

Memories of dancing with your father are very special. I'm glad you have such good memories.

My dad always said he'd raised his own dance partner. Dancing was a family affair at our house. My last dance with him was at my son's wedding. Dad had cancer at that time and I was thankful that he could be there at all. I probably shocked some folks from our church, but I told them it was a tradition that father's dance with their daughters and then hand the bride off to her groom. It was amazing how many father's hit the dance floor with their daughters. I guess they liked our tradition.