Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11th

September 11th will live in every American’s heart. A beautiful, sunny autumn morning; which turned into one of the darkest days our nation will ever know. Our safe nest is now a memory.

On September 11, 2001 I was in Dallas on a business trip. I remember watching the Today show in the hotel room, as I got ready for a day packed full of meetings. The shock of watching a plane go into the tower was surreal. I scurried to the breakfast area and joined a crowd watching as the next plane slammed into the other tower. Among total strangers, I watched horrific history being made. We sobbed.
Throughout the day, CNN was kept on at the office. I knew my first phone call had to be to my 19 year old son, who had just enlisted in the United States Air Force two years earlier. Mom Tears rolled as my son told me he was packed and ready to go.

Gulp. Pride. Gulp.

Around 11am on September 13th, the U.S. Department of Transportation allowed national airspace to reopen. I was at the gate, waiting to board a plane back to DC. Two Middle-Eastern men sat down at the gate. One by one, passengers went to the desk, whispering to the attendants. I sat with a co-worker and we spoke quietly that all we wanted was to go home. We boarded the plane. The two Middle-Eastern men boarded the plane. I heard crying in the seats around me. At least 60% of the passengers removed their carry-on bags and exited the plane. Security boarded and showed the two men off the plane. From my window seat, I watched every piece of luggage unloaded and taken back into the airport for security. Moments later, police entered the plane with dogs and we were told to remain seated (at this point the plane was about empty). Luggage was reloaded, the police and their dogs exited. The pilot came over the intercom and announced he made the decision to have the two men escorted off the plane and if anyone is uncomfortable with this choice, they could speak with him personally. He asked that we buckle our seatbelts and let’s go home. I called my mom to let her know I was on one of the first planes taking off out of DFW and most definitely the safest plane leaving the airport.

Flying has never been the same since that day.

The word, FEAR has all new meaning.

Terror was something we used to watch in a movie.

Too many Americans were killed on 9/11. We must never forget.

Too many American soldiers have lost their life in this war. We must never forget.

Our children will never know the world as a safe place, as we did as children. We must never forget.

As a nation we must lift our prayers for all who have lost loved ones in the Towers, at the Pentagon, on the Pennsylvania field, along with our Service Members both the fallen heroes and the loved ones far away from home fighting this war.

We Must Never Forget.


Coffeypot said...

I was home sick and watching Regis and Kelly when ABC cut in with the story. I called my daughter and was talking to her when the second plane hit. A coworker of my daughter was crying because her daughter worked in one of the towers. I believe the daughter got out okay, but it was surreal to hear her crying over the phone in the background.

Shock is not the proper word, but anger and hate shortly followed. I will never forget.

Brenda Jean said...

I was home too, watching The Today Show of all things. My daughter was only a year old and my sons were 7 and 8 and in school. Chuck was home that day so we watched it together. I was glad the boys were in school (it was only 2 or 3 blocks away then) so I could get my emotions under control before they got home. As it was my oldest ended up with hives that week. Explaining such hatred and violence to kids is so hard when they are so open and trusting. To be honest, I STILL don't understand that kind of hatred towards our country. Evil is all that comes to mind. Then there is the fear I have now of it happening again since President Bush isn't in office.

Fragrant Liar said...

I was on the Mopac/183 flyover when the DJs I was listening to said they'd gotten word that a plane had flown into the first tower -- a small plane they heard. Speculation abounded about some poor schmoe being off course. And little by little, more bits of news crept in that seemed more like rumors run amok. And then at my doc's office ten minutes later, TVs on in crowded waiting rooms with incredulous eyes affixed. I made a quick call to my husband to wake him so he could see what was going on, and he turned on the TV just in time to see the second plane slam into the second tower. Disbelief. Shock. Dismay. Anger. Fear. Emotions ran the gamut. And then two more planes went down.

I'll always remember that morning, for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which was the insane war that came after. But I'm forever grateful to our soldiers and their families and for my country, home of the brave.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I will never forget where or when...

It simply shocks me that 8 years have passed.

How is that possible?


A.J. said...

I was in school, in English class. I was so young at that time. I sought a commission because of what happened. My husband enlisted because of the events of 9/11. We'll never forget. Prayers are with the families, our military.

God bless.

Tami said...

I will never forget turning the tv on that morning. Shock, fear, sadness and anger were the emotions that I remember feeling.

Thank you for all you do. B, John and you are all in my prayers each day.

God Bless,

MightyMom said...

I have a great video's the BBC news broadcast from that night....chilling.

Chuck said...

I was laying on the couch watching the morning news and saw the planes fly into the WTC. I went to work later that day and worked in the Emergency Room. A woman came in that was at cardiac rehab watching the news and developed chest pain, her son was an airline pilot (UA I think). SHe knew he was not flying that day but obviously this all hit too close to home for her. I will never forget her. That made the whole thing personal for me.

Call Me Grandma said...

I was watching Good Morning America when the first plane hit.
I was also was watching when the second plane hit. I thought this is NO accident.

When the plane hit in Shanksville I was sitting in a doctor's office with my mom. Shanksville is only 30 miles from my home and my first thought was where is my family? I sure hope they are all safe.
I was a wreck. I remember thinking to myself God help us!
I wanted to get home as fast as I could.
I'll never forget.

Mike Golch said...

the sad thing is that sometime in the future this will happen again,as it did on 7 Dec 1941 and 11 Sept 2001
I pray that the next time it will not be the cause of World war 3,for this time I think the world will be burned to a crisp by the "big bombs"

Sue said...

I was at work when a girl came back from the front office and told us. I immediately called Ron and he said he had just seen the plane hit the 2nd tower. I worked at a major WNY university and many of our students were from NYC. When we were finally told that the governor had closed the school, we went home...walking out into a perfect, crisp autumn day.
And I knew - from the very moment of the second plane hitting, that Laurie would no longer serve in peacetime.
God bless all who serve and protect.