Thursday, August 7, 2008

Purple Heart



"Being wounded or killed in any action against an enemy of the United States or as a result of an act of any such enemy or opposing armed forces"


Today is the birthday of the Purple Heart!
In 1782,George Washington established the Order of the Purple Heart at Newburgh, New York. The Purple Heart recognizes merit in enlisted soldiers who have been wounded or killed while serving with the U.S. military. It is the oldest symbol and award given to members of the U.S. Military.

My brother-in-law, Phil has received five Purple Hearts in the Vietnam War. Truly, he is the finest of heroes. We sat with him at the wedding of his grand-daughter two weekends ago... it is amazing to think of all this one man has been through and yet he holds one of the sweetest spirits I have ever met. Tomorrow is the shared birthday of Phil and my husband. Happy Birthday, Guys!

To Phil and all of our nation's Purple Heart recipients... how do we ever thank you?
Simply.......... We must never forget!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I love coming to you blog. I either learn some military history that I did not know before or am reminded of ones that I knew but put in the back of the brain. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment again. I know women cannot go on subs, and that's something they are discussing about, either a unisex one or all female crew. Whether it's going to happen, who knows, females couldn't be NUKES until just about 20 years ago. I'm fine with being on a carrier or being on shore. Don't mind it at all. Whether NUKE, either MM, ET, EM suck, well I believe that no matter how difficult or sucky a rate might be, it's the person that makes the best of it even if it does suck. I want to be a NUKE, plus I enjoy nuclear engineering, and a lot of what comes with the package so I won't mind it at all, even if I have to be cleaning all day, so long I am in the US Navy. I'm fine with it. And if I don't enjoy, I'll make the best of it and then just go off and work in the civilian world, which won't be bad at all.

Thank you again, to you and your husband. Hope all it well with your son, you and yours.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Thanks for not telling me how weird I am cuz of that dream! A few more weeks on Atkins...just imagine what my brain will come up with!

Hallie