Saturday, April 2, 2011

Happy Birthday, Sunshine!

My daughter is calling it her Double-Three Birthday!
I call it simply inconceivable!

How could it be Thirty-Three years ago, I gave birth to my firstborn?

It feels like yesterday, and yet it also feels as though she has been a part of me my entire life! Truth is, she has been. She (as all my children) have been in my heart, since I was born. I know it.

I was a kid, having a kid when K was born. Oh, I was so young and so full of...I'll call it vim and vigor. So much negative surrounded me as 'such a young mom', but I was out to prove that this sweet child of mine was mine and we were simply meant to be. I loved her with all my heart, from the moment I suspected she was growing inside me.

We share a magical relationship... I have been able to 'feel' her, even when she is far away. For example, when she was 16, she went on a two-month long Missionary Trip to India. Of course there was oodles of concern, knowing she would be visiting villages in the heart of nowhere. One morning I woke at 3:30 am hearing her call my name. It was as though she was standing at my bedside, saying "Momma". I got up, walked around the house (knowing she was on the other side of the world) and after a while convinced myself to go back to sleep. When the phone rang at 6:30 am, I was told she had been hit by a car three hours earlier. She had a few minor injuries, but the group had an ICU nurse with them, who tended to my daughter. But I knew.

K has grown to become a beautiful woman...inside and out. She is a loving wife, an amazing mom to three young girls 5 and under, a strong Christian example to young women in her Church and community, a caring big sister, a sweet aunt to her nieces and nephews and the most wonderful daughter a mom could ask for.

I remember when she was two weeks ago...I woke each day feeling scared. How could I possibly be a good mom to this precious gift from God? She cried, and I cried. So I would sing softly in her ear....
You are my Sunshine
my only Sunshine.
You make me happy
when skies are gray...
You'll never know Kel
how much Momma loves you
so don't take my Sunshine away.

All these years later, she is my Sunshine. I can still close my eyes and feel her tucked safely under my chin as I hold her closely.


Happy Birthday!!!
I do love you so!!!

6 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

The old Sarge thinks your daughter came from good stock. Happy birthday K, know how lucky you are to have a mother like yours.

Coffeypot said...

Wonderful post and HBD, dalrin'.

kelly c said...

i love you, momma.

Unknown said...

sarge...your kind words are deeply appreciated!

Unknown said...

coffeypot...thank you!

Unknown said...

kc..love you so!