Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Letters From War

Thanks to Jormengrund for his post today! He spoke of an outstanding video by the Christian Artist, Mark Shultz titled, "Letters From War". (Please pause Playlist on sidebar)
">

While at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, Texas for John's BMT Graduation, we attended Service on Sunday morning. This video was shown. (John later told us this video was shown every Sunday morning during service). I remember looking around the congregation. The room was filled with Zero Week Recruits (those fresh off the bus, with hair, dressed in civvies and scared out of their wits!) right up to Airman (like my son). The music and words which filled the room will never be forgotten, along with the voices of the Airman joyously singing along and clapping...but it was the feeling of awe which I remember most. I was in awe with all the young people who filled this room. Our future military. They WANT to be in the United States Air Force! We are not living in the days of a Draft, we have a military filled with volunteers.

Alright, alright...I know many will say that economics are forcing more and more into the military, and this may be true to some extent. However...I read the blogs of the families of these proud warriors. It is my belief most WANT to serve our country!

I digress... Back to Lackland..hold on...let's step back in time even further. Let's go to my older son's BMT Graduation in September, 1999. A time our country was at peace. To be perfectly honest, the same thoughts, the same emotions filled me. Each of those young men and women WANT to serve our country! The song was different... R.Kelly sang, "I Believe I Can Fly". To this day, all these years later...I hear this song and immediately I am swept to the same Sanctuary, a different group of Airman...

Ahhhh...but the feelings are the same.

Awesome!


September, 1999 and February, 2008... Mom Tears flowed................


May Almighty God bless each and every Airman, Soldier, Sailor and Marine.

6 comments:

Kellan said...

This video makes me so sad - it is so beautiful. This was a beautiful post too!!

Take care, my friend.

Kellan

Unknown said...

kellan...thank you for stopping by and watching this extremely special video!

david mcmahon said...

Zero weekers - I'd never heard that phrase before.

Unknown said...

david...thanks for stopping by. Good call, I altered the wording.

Lee said...

This one made me cry with pride, joy, and a certain sadness. I've shared it with some fellow vets. Thank you for posting it. Btw...I live in San Antonio. Hope our city showed you a nice time.

Peace! Hope! & Joy!
Lee

Unknown said...

lee...thank you so much for taking the time to watch this moving video! Thank you for sharing it as well.
Both of my visits to San Antonio were lovely! The Riverwalk is beautiful, the Alamo is amazing-rich in history and smack dab in the middle of the city...
Ahhhh..the food! Yummy!