Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wednesday Hero 10/08/2008

Cpl. Lance M. Thompson
Cpl. Lance M. Thompson
21 years old from Upland, Indiana
2nd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force
November 15, 2004
U.S. Marine Corps.

The father of Cpl. Lance Thompson said his son would be proud knowing he fought and died to help Iraqis vote in an election.

Cpl. Lance Thompson died in during fighting in Ramadi by a truck bomb. His father, Greg Thompson, said his son sent him a letter in September of '04 which said, "Freedom is not free. It requires sacrifice."

Greg Thompson said the millions turning out to vote in Iraq was "fantastic" and said it was a "momentous day in the Middle East."

"Are you asking me was it worth Lance losing his life?" he asked a reporter. "Being the gung-ho Marine that he was, he would say yes. So I'll say yes. That is a tough, bitter pill to swallow. It hurts. God, I didn't want to give up my son."


These brave men and women sacrifice so much in their lives so that others may enjoy the freedoms we get to enjoy everyday. For that, I am proud to call them Hero.
We Should Not Only Mourn These Men And Women Who Died, We Should Also Thank God That Such People Lived

This post is part of the Wednesday Hero Blogroll. For more information about Wednesday Hero, or if you would like to post it on your site, you can go here.
Wednesday Hero Logo

14 comments:

Brandy said...

What a wonderful post! As an Army Wife and a sister to Marine and Navy brothers I know Freedom isn't Free! I will keep this family and every family who has lost a loved one or has a loved one over seas.

On a side note I saw that you live in Poolesville Md I grew up in Frederick and My Favorite Soldier grew up in Myersville Md.

Unknown said...

brandy...first of all, thank YOU for your service, along with thanks to your entire family!
Yep, Frederick is not far from the village at all! Do you return for visits? If so, let me know...it would be a pleasure to meet you!

Real Live Lesbian said...

I love these posts. It's amazing to me the courage that our soldier have. And the desire to make the world a better place.

Great post.

Unknown said...

rll... thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Truly, it is a reminder our freedoms have a price!

Jeff B said...

As much as I can't stand this war, or any other for that matter, I have never lost sight of how much our men and women have sacrificed on my behalf. Like the young man's father said, it's a bitter pill to swallow.

Unknown said...

jeff...thank you so much for stopping by!

Julie said...

I will be back to read your blog in its entirety!!!!! :)

Unknown said...

julie...thank you for stopping by! I welome your comments in the future!

kimmy said...

Beautiful post! What a tribute to those who have served and sacrificed everything.

Kimmy

Unknown said...

kimmy...thank you for taking the time to stop and remember those who have sacrificed for us.

Donna said...

Terrific quote! "Freedom is not free. It requires sacrifice."

Thank you for another great remembrance. He did not die in vain.

Unknown said...

donna....to think of the heartache this dad has endured and yet he is able to uplift others.

Alice said...

I love these tributes. They are so important for ALL of us to read. Thank you for continuing to honor the real heros of our country.

Unknown said...

alice... It's a small way to "thank you" and "we will remember you".