Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tuesday Random Thoughts

Since this is my final post of 2008, I chose to write a complete hodgepodge of thoughts.

Today, I am going to BWI to welcome home heroes. The Washington Post featured Operation Welcome Home on Christmas Eve. Our local news covered this outstanding organization as well. As I watch these brave men and women come through the airport's security doors, I cry. They thank us! Some of them are so overwhelmed by the hoopla, they bow their heads. I reach to shake the hands of as many as possible, and hopefully they know my tears speak while my voice is stuck somewhere in my throat. I am in awe by each and every one of them! My goals for 2009 are to recruit more people to join me in welcoming home troops at local airports and to request Sunday School classes to write Thank You cards which I will hand deliver to our troops at BWI.

MudPuppy is my first "adopted" SoldierSon. I am relatively new to the blogging world and his blog was one of the first I began to follow on a regular basis. His writing style is brilliant, but be forewarned...he puts it as it is. If you can't take it, don't read it. My heart is filled with gratitude, respect and love for this young soldier. MudPuppy will receive packages from me throughout the year, it is the very least I can do to show my heartfelt thanks for what he does for me each day! My second SoldierSon is David, my AdoptedSoldier. He too, will see packages of random pieces of home. The simple things which we take for granted, mean so very much to these brave men and women.

Prayers, prayers and more prayers for Airmen who I have not met: Michelle's daughter, Shay. Travis and Bryan are two fine Airman who are serving in Afghanistan and need prayers. Christopher who I have been introduced to by HL is on my prayer list and package list. Zachary, a young Marine who graduated with my son, John and is currently serving in Afghanistan also is in need of prayers and packages from home!

My sons. B is going to Korea for two weeks. He is in the United States Air Force Reserves. May Almighty God watch over him while he is away and bring him home safely. John may or may not be deployed in 2009. Chances are good, my youngest son will find himself in the Middle East. It is all in God's hands.

My youngest daughter, Marie. In just a few short weeks my baby girl, my sweet angel will hold her daughter. My prayers are lifted, since this sweet grandgirl of mine already is causing a wee bit of concern; this baby has decided she is enjoying her tranverse position inside her momma (meaning she is sideways). There is not much more time or room for her to get into a better position for a natural birth. I know God is good and always has a good plan. Marie keeps saying that her daughter may know something the rest of us don't know...so if a 'section' is needed to bring this baby in the world, so be it. I so look forward to holding this precious child in my arms. I look forward to staying with my daughter and son-in-law for a week to help them, as they care for their sweet girl. I look forward to watching my daughter, as she mothers her daughter. Truly, I am deeply blessed to know this honor. *HAPPY NOTE- I just got off the phone with Marie who saw the doctor this morning; Our Sweet Angel is turned and in position to enter the world naturally! I guess those strange pains Marie was enduring on Christmas Day, was the baby flipping and dropping! Woo-Hoo!!!! I will be able to watch this sweet angel's birth!!!!!

So, as we move into a new year...I pray that each and every one of you know peace in your heart. I pray that you enjoy a year of good health. I pray that you are richly blessed in what makes you whole.

May Almighty God bless each and every Airman, Soldier, Sailor and Marine. May God bring comfort to the families who have lost loved ones. May God reunite families who are separated, whether it is within our country or by an ocean. May we all show love towards one another, in deeds and words.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
It is still this year, so I have posted a few photos from today at BWI. My camera is not the best, perhaps next year I will own a nicer camera and be able to capture these moments a bit better! It was simply amazing to be there and greet our troops. One sweet soldier was so very overwhelmed, she cried her way through the long pathway of greeters. OWH had so many volunteers today, oodles of Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts and Girls Scouts giving out cookies! There were two groups of Red Hatters (yes, I am one of them). Shaking the hands of these soldiers is an honor, which has no words. As these heroes were bumping knuckles with Cub Scouts, I stood there taking in the moment. So very grateful to whisper a "welcome home" or a "thank you". I wanted to hug each of them, as they are my own children. Truth is, they are our children. They represent us. They are us. May Almighty God Bless each and every Airman, Soldier, Sailor and Marine!



26 comments:

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Love all your random thoughts!

Hallie :)

Kathleen said...

As we stand at the door of a new year, I wish you many blessings! Thank you for you encouragement in the past year, as a military mom, and as a blogger! I can't wait to hear about your grandbaby's entrance into the world...I love being a gramma! My prayers are with you for all this new year brings.

Unknown said...

hallie...to you and your family I wish a Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

kathleen...thank you for your kind wishes! You are absolutely correct...being a grandmother is about the best of the best in this entire world!

Tami said...

I wish with all my heart that I could join you at BMI and spread my thanks and love. In 2009 I plan to research how to start something like this at our local Airport.
God Bless you and your family in the upcoming New Year.

aam

Mary Ellen said...

What wonderful news about the sweet baby. She may end up being one of those last-minute, just in the nick of time children! I have two of those, and love them like crazy!

Happy New Year, and thank you so much for your unfailing support.

Grandpa-Old Soldier said...

I like your random thoughts. What you do with your blog is amazing. The thoughts you portray to us is appreciated and causes us to appreciate our men and women in the military even more. Oh, thanks for visiting my daughters new blog. Now if I can just keep her interisted.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your daughter and the wonderful news!

Thank you for commenting on my blog, following up. I hope this New Yea 2009 brings you a lot happiness, love, health and prosperity.


God Bless You and Yours.

Jean said...

Thank you for sharing your experience meeting the troops coming through the airport - it was so touching. I've heard about this happening and didn't experience it so much at the Las Vegas airport when Tom came home - not many volunteers there but quite a few troops. He did talk about the Dallas airport and all the greeters there. He was impressed and grateful. I love the photo of the service at Baghdad - it was wonderful to see.

Your posts are very inspiring and heartwarming. Your granddaughters are beautiful. Our prayers are with you and the new baby girl and your daughter as her time for delivery is so close.

Thank you for sharing - you make a difference!

Jean

Unknown said...

aam...if ever you wish to join me at BWI, you are more than welcome to bunk at my place. Please check out the website, to get ideas on how to get a group started in your area! Today was simply incredible...so many cub scouts, girl scouts...the troops loved to see the kids. Such a good day!
Happy New Year to you and your family!

Unknown said...

ME...I already love this angel like crazy ( I do love the way you put that) My prayers are with you as you enter this new year!

Unknown said...

old soldier...thank you for your kind words. Your daughter is one amazing young woman, I look forward to following her blog!
Happiest of New Years to you and yours!

Unknown said...

kim...I look forward to stopping by to visit your blog more in the new year. My warmest wishes to you!

Unknown said...

jean...your kind words are deeply appreciated. My thanks to Tom for service and YOU for your service as well. Happy New Year!

Jormengrund said...

To be honest, there is no better way to start a new year than with the birth of a new life..

Congratulations, and I know how GREAT of a grandma you'll be to these little ones!

Oh, and the adopted servicemen are especially lucky.. There's nothing better than letters and packages from home, even if it's an adopted home. It's just not something you can put into words.. It's the feeling of still having a kind of lifeline to home in your hands..

Great idea, and best to you and yours this New Year!

Unknown said...

jormengrund...your words are perfect; there is no better way to begin a new year! As for my adopted SoldierSons...there is never enough I or any of us can do to show our deep gratitude!
Happy New Year!

Tonjia said...

AM, please thank those soldiers for me. If I had not moved, I would be there with you every single time. We lived only 90 minutes from BWI when we lived in PA.

I am keeping your sons in my prayers too, and I pray they come home safely sooner rather than later.

Just one more thing, Bre was a transverse lie. 10lbs 2 oz and she wouldnt move!! just look at her now!

Happy new year to you and your entire family. here's to 2009!!

Unknown said...

tonjia...the offer extends to you as well, if you are ever in the area! Please bunk at my place and we will greet the troops!
Truly, we will be blessed if my grandgirl ends up to be as special as your Bre! My warm New Year Greetings to you and your family!

Alice said...

Joining you in the prayers. And the excitement about the grandbaby on the way!! I can't wait to read all about her!!

Unknown said...

alice...thank you for stopping by. I may have to begin a new blog, which will focus on the new grandgirl! Happy New Year!

juliannah said...

Thank you for greeting our country's heroes. I am military mom and a Patriot Guard member and on occasion we are able to welcome home military members. I just started my blog and have been searching for other military moms and dads. Glad to have found another. Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

julie...thank YOU for your service. I have been to your blog and do I enjoy my visits! Happy New Year!!!

ABNPOPPA said...

Good news about the soon to be granddaughter. My new grandson spent his first Christmas with us and family and they are truly precious.

God Bless you for your effort in greeting our homecoming heroes. And of course,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Unknown said...

pops...I send you and your family warm wishes for the new year. Enjoy your grandson, truly these little people are enormous blessings!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this selfless post. You are such an Angel and your sons and daughter have an amazing mom!

Good luck boys
and Marie & baby!

<3

Unknown said...

HL...your kind words and good wishes are deeply appreciated.